Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A Full Moon...

Wow, a mid-week post! If anyone is actually reading out there (hello....hello.... hello?) you are probably almost as surprised to be reading it as I am to be writing it! But this story is too good to save for the weekend.

Every day, at the end of the day, we have centers. Now, in MY kindergarten, centers is teacher-speak for "play with the toys, develop some social skills, and kill that last 45 mins before we can go home because your little brains are way too fried to think anymore today!" Sure, I could spin some edu-talk about how the centers reinforce our daily learning, and sometimes they do, but for the most part it's playtime.

Today I spent most of the centers time in our class library, reading Halloween books aloud to various children. I may not be able to officially promote Halloween, but I get around it in sneaky ways such as putting out a basket of enticing books and making it known I would be more than happy to sit in my rocking chair and read to anyone who asks. Just as I finished my third reading of Big Pumpkin (I do a rocking witch voice according to Thing One!) a chorus of "Mrs. Kindergarten! Mrs. Kindergarten!! He showed us his BUTT!" rang out from the blocks corner. Scrambling to my feet I rushed over there to find Van Gogh and another boy pointing at a third, who was cowering in the corner and insisting his pants "just slipped". Van Gogh and Friend insisted that NO, he had DROPPED his pants and showed his butt ON PURPOSE! As I was evil eyeing all 3 boys, trying to decide via telepathy who was lying to me, who should stroll in by Mrs. Pop! Of course, I was fumbling for the right decision, I should have KNOWN she was on her way!

In this case I was actually glad to see her. I called her over, explained the situation thus far, and looked at her expectantly. Mrs. Pop seemed a bit taken aback, but rallied quickly and told me that she thought she would take Moony for a walk to discuss his "pants malfunction". Her words, not mine, but it took every ounce of self control not to LMAO at her choice of phrase! Mrs. Pop left with Moony, the rest of us began to tidy up the room in preparation for dismissal. Just before the bell rang a tear stained little boy slipped back into my room and Mrs. Pop's voice echoed from the intercom. "Mrs. Kindergarten? I have spoken to Moony's mother and the problem has been taken care of. He will not do it again!" Which can only leave me to believe that at some point Moony must have 'fessed up and admitted that properly fitting pants do not just slip down to your knees suddenly and by themselves!

So, a new friend to occasionally blog about - Moony McButt!

No comments: